Library RulesThe following rules are intended to provide a comfortable study environment for all user of the UCB library. Users are asked to follow the rules as this will enable us to offer a beneficial service to all users.
- Mobile phones. The use of mobile phones within the Library can be a major cause of disturbance to other library users. Consequently, ring tones must be turned off before entering the Library and conversations on mobile phones are forbidden. Texting is permitted as long as it does not disturb other library users. Other equipment likely to cause a disturbance (e.g. noisy personal stereos) is also forbidden.
- Eating and drinking. Food and drink can permanently damage books and
equipment. Consequently, water, from a screw top bottle only, is
permitted, but no other food or drink. Smoking is also forbidden inside
the Library and adjacent corridors and stairways, in accordance with the
University's Smoking Policy.
- Noise. Researchers and learners require a quiet study environment and
consequently talking should be kept to a minimum to ensure that other
users are not disturbed. In particular, users should observe complete
silence in designated silent study areas. In other areas, conversations
should be kept as quiet as possible. Group study rooms may be available
for collaborative work.
- Personal property. Readers bring their own personal belongings into the
Library at their own risk. The Library endeavours to provide a safe and
secure environment but no responsibility is accepted for the security of
- Borrowing library materials. All material in the library can be checked
out except material in the reference section of the library
(dictionaries, encyclopedias, MBA projects...) Before you may borrow, you must show your valid ID card to the
librarian. Don't use others' ID as this will cause the reservation of
the submitted card.
Borrowers are responsible for returning
borrowed material to the library on or before the due date. Items may be
renewed, if necessary. The maximum number of items users may borrow at
one time is as follows:
Kindly note that any delay in returning the materials on their due date may incur penalties such as being denied permission to borrow materials for a specified time.
| Users|| Number of Books|| Loan Period|
| Faculty|| 5|| 6 Weeks|
| Graduate Students || 3|| 4 Week|
| Under Graduate Students|| 2|| 2 Week|
| Employees|| 2|| 2 Week|
Should any borrowed materials be lost, the borrower will be charged a fee equal to five times the cost of the lost material.